Aged care in Australia can feel like it is almost impossible to navigate, especially for the first time. More times than not you hear people saying how complicated they find the system. This article is here to help to clarify the overwhelming task of understanding Australian aged care guiding you through in times of need.
How does home care work in Australia?
In Australia, there is a range of support services that are subsidised by the Commonwealth government. The government has two main programs being The Commonwealth Gome Support Program perfect for those who have a need for some support but do not depend on it completely, and then have the Home Care Packages who are for those who require a little more support.
The Home Care Packages have different levels to help cater for Australians with differing requirements. These four levels are:
• Level 1 Basic care needs – approximately $9,000 a year
• Level 2 Low care needs – approximately $15,750 a year
• Level 3 Intermediate care needs – approximately $34,250 a year
• Level 4 High care needs – approximately $52,000 a year
Based on an assessment performed by a trained professional you will be allocated to one of the above packages to ensure you receive the appropriate level of care.
Applying for Care
1. Apply online at myagecare.gov.au or apply over the phone on 1800 200 422. You will need to provide some basic information specifying what your needs are.
2. Undertake a face-to-face assessment within the comfort of your own home.
3. From here the assessor will determine what level of support you require, and you will be allocated one of the above packages to help you live a healthier life.
What services can I receive?
There is a range of services designed to help you retain your independence. These include:
• Personal care
• Allied health services
• Cleaning services
• Transport services
• Support with shopping
There are of course things that you cannot use your home care package for, these include things like paying off your debts, paying for groceries or other general living costs. The home care packages are designed to help ensure your wellbeing rather than general living.